Harvey Mason


Our Scholarship recipient for 2012, Harvey Mason from Rathkeale College, has begun his year as a tutor at Shrewsbury School. Harvey is assisting with coaching the Under 16 rugby team as well as duties with the PE department and classroom activities. He is also involved in pre-season cricket preparation and assistance to the groundsmen as they move to the summer term. Harvey has a number of friends in UK who are also engaged in tutorships and he is planning to travel to Spain with them for the Easter break.

Some news from past recipients of the Scholarship: Matt Brown 2007 is presently at Victoria University. He has completed a Bachelor of Commerce and is continuing with Bachelor of Laws. He is looking for work as a summer clerk/intern for 2012/13. Matt tells us he is grateful and always will be for the opportunity the Scholarship gave him. Déan van Deventer 2009 is completing a Bachelor of Science and is in his last year at Canterbury University. He plans to return to do honours in engineering geology. Déan continues to play cricket for central districts and hopes to return to England when he has finished his university studies. Ben Ardagh 2010 is in his second year at Otago University and is studying Physiotherapy. Ben spent the summer working in Australia – he enjoyed the travel again after his year spent at Shrewsbury and traveling in Europe.

This year we will visit Shrewsbury School around the time of Speech Day, (prizegiving day) at the end of their school year. There are a number of masters still at the school who knew James when he was a tutor in 1990. A previous deputy Headmaster at Rathkeale College, Bruce Hamilton and his wife visited the school last year. They were given a very warm welcome and were most impressed with the school and the amazing facilities.

Thank you again for your interest and support of the Scholarship established in James’s memory. We are very happy that the scholarship continues in such a positive way and are grateful to Shrewsbury School, Rathkeale College and Christ’s College for their involvement and contribution to the Scholarship.

Harvey's year at Shrewsbury School


After a long count down the big day finally arrived the 9th of January 2012. My bag was packed and I joined 80 other “Gappies” on our way to London England. After about 15 movies and little sleep I made it to the below zero conditions in London.

My fellow gap student Tim Sanderson from Canberra, Australia and I travelled up from London by train together. We were welcomed by our mentor Chris Cook and Nils Sceery a Harvard fellow, and Steve Clancy a sports graduate finishing his teaching degree at Shrewsbury. Tim and I felt like a part of the team straight away after a great night out with the guys.

I quickly learnt that the job of a gap student is definitely a mixed bag. I remember on day one after being kitted out with all our gear we were set to work on a classic envelope stuffing session!! One of the duties I enjoyed the most was coaching the 3rd XV. It was great to be with the boys outside of the classroom and getting to know them. I also took Year 9 PE sessions which I enjoyed although I struggled a bit when taking them for football training. I’d have to say they mostly knew a lot more about it than I did!! Both of these roles stretched me going from player to coach but I really enjoyed the challenge. I would like to do more coaching in the future.

Life guarding at the pool was another part of our role. Getting out of bed to be at the pool by 6.30am in below zero temperatures to supervise a few students swimming lengths wasn’t that appealing at first but Tim and I grew to love it. It was great to obtain our lifeguard qualifications and to be able to make the most of the pool.

As the winter passed Chris Cook introduced me to the Shrewsbury Rugby Club Social Cricket team. It was a great way to meet some of the players before rugby started. I soon realised I’d got myself in to a tricky situation being one of the only players to have any cricketing experience.

This meant I opened the batting and bowling, and got a lot of stick if I didn’t perform. One game I remember very well, we played on a dairy farm out in the country side. The wicket was prepared by the farmer / coach/captain of the other team, and with a very short 40 meter boundary the game was over pretty quick.

On an afternoon off Tim and I decided to go down to the river and try my hand at rowing. I thought the rowing machine was a breeze so it would be fine. Tim, a rower himself, warned me it was harder than it looked but of course I wasn’t listening to him. Next thing I know I’m in the river going with the current and with every stroke almost falling in! To add to the fun it started raining. Good thing Tim came in with an oar to tow me back to the rowing club.

As the cricket season came to an end it meant the start of another cold winter but also rugby for Shrewsbury club. These was some of the best times on my gap year. We travelled all over the Midlands and played a few good games. Thankfully my shoulder held up ok and I really enjoyed my first experience of playing club rugby.

The memories I have from the last year will be with me forever. It was an amazing experience that I will always look back on. I really hope that other’s will benefit, as I have, from the scholarship in the future. Thank you to everyone who supports the scholarship, and of course and a very big thank you to Liz and Jim for their support and continuing friendship.